Can You Eat a Puff Ball?

Posted on October 21, 2013. Filed under: Food Made Simple, Plants, Safety | Tags: , , , |

Food - Puff BallTo answer my own question in the title, yes!  Generally they are washed, sliced, battered and sautéed in butter.  You must make sure it IS a puffball and that it isn’t too old.  There are good websites out there for this like the Mushroom Journal based in Illinois which is a good one for me to look at.  You should always check sources that are as local as possible.  Do not eat any mushroom based on information you are reading here!  I’ve heard of disasters where foreigners found mushrooms in their new locale that looked just like some from their native land, but they were deadly varieties and wiped out the whole clan.  So KNOW before you eat.

I’ve been watching this puff ball for a few days.  It started out about softball size and has mushroomed (ha, ha, love that pun!) to basketball size.  I just photographed it, though, because we don’t eat them at out house.  Bill has a very rare reaction to puff balls where he just can’t digest them at all.  When he eats them they just lay in his stomach like a rock for days.  Very painful.  I actually don’t think they taste all that great.  They remind me of eggplant, rather bland.  So, we pass on them here.  But they are fascinating to watch progress on the forest floor.

Make a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

4 Responses to “Can You Eat a Puff Ball?”

RSS Feed for Lavish Living Comments RSS Feed

There was an article on tv about how in Britain loads of wild mushrooms are being foraged by people and sold to restaurants or just eaten. I think people are starting to be a bit worried by it.

Why the worry? Are they thinking some of the foragers might not know what they are collecting?

I’ve no idea. Perhaps they’re worried about all the mushrooms disappearing and not returning.

Oh yes, I looked at some UK sites that mention that so many are being harvested they are worried about having any left in the forests! It is always a good idea to leave a few and also to carry them out in a basket or something with holes so the spores can drop as you walk.


Where's The Comment Form?

Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...

%d bloggers like this: